This set of tools is used for reflecting positions of the selected parts of the character rig to adjust character poses. You can mirror:
Mirror tools Menu
Mirrors the selected controllers on the currently selected frame.
Mirrors the selected controllers on the currently selected interval.
The interpolation on this interval is changed to Fixed.
- Plane XY (default) - use the plane defined by the X and Y coordinate axes as the mirroring plane.
- Plane XZ - use the plane defined by the X and Z coordinate axes as the mirroring plane. This is a horizontal plane placed on the ground level.
- Plane YZ - use the plane defined by the Y and Z coordinate axes as the mirroring plane
- Set by 3 objects - use coordinates of three selected objects to set the mirroring plane. The objects have to be selected beforehand.
Using Mirror Tools
The way Mirror tools should be used depends on the result you’d like to achieve.
If you want to mirror an object:
1. Select this object.
2. Apply Mirror tool (Mirror tool → Mirror on current frame for one frame, or Mirror tool → Mirror on interval for an interval).
The program will automatically find the object’s counterpart on the other side of the mirror plane and copy its position to the object.
If you want to make two objects to interchange their positions:
1. Select both of the objects.
2. Set the mirror plane. Make sure the plane is between the objects.
3. Mirror the objects as described above.
Take a note of the difference in the outcome.
If you mirror the entire character (including the root), the results will depend on the Mirror plane you’ve selected:
An example of using mirroring tools with different mirror planes. From left to right: a base pose (left) and its copies mirrored across XY, XZ and YZ (right) planes
Improperly built rig might prevent Mirror Tool from working properly. To prevent issues, during rigging:
- Set an appropriate Character mirror plane on the Rigging Tool panel
- Make sure the character model is in a T-pose